Who cheats more men or women? It is a common question that arose when it comes to gender infidelity. Even though both men and women cheat, there is a persisting stereotype that men are more likely to cheat than women.
Now, let's shed some light on the correlation between gender and infidelity. In this article, we will take a close look at statistics to identify who cheats more men or women.
Infidelity Statistics: Cheating Men VS. Cheating Women
In the general run of things, men tend to cheat more than women. According to the General Social Survey (GSS), 20% of men and 13% of women accept having an affair with someone outside their marriage.
Now let’s take a close look at other statistics from the Statistic Brain Research Institute to identify whether men cheat more often than women:
- 99% of Americans suspect that their partner cheats on them.
- 60% of spouses take part in infidelity in their marriage at least once during their marriage.
- 36% of men and women cheat on their partners on business trips.
- 57% of men accept being unfaithful at some stage in their life.
- 54% of women admit cheating in one or several relationships.
- 36% of men and women cheat on their significant other with a co-worker.
- 22% of men cheated on their spouse at least once being married.
- 14% of women cheated on their spouse at least once being married.
- 90% of people who have online relationships become addicted to them. They are likely to start a new one as soon as the previous one comes to an end.
As you may notice, the percentage of men who cheat in relationships is not much different from women. Thus, when it comes to percent of women's infidelity in marriage, it is significantly smaller than men.
Definitely, these numbers may vary from one marriage to another. But the fact is that both men and women tend to cheat on one another.
Why do men cheat?
Why do men actually cheat? The desire to engage in infidelity is usually driven by the following reasons:
- Lack of maturity: If a man doesn’t have a lot of experience in relationships, he might neglect actions that can hurt their significant other, cheating is one of them.
- Co-occurring issues: Alcohol or drug abuse may result in spontaneous sexual behavior like one-night stands.
- Inferiority issues: Self-doubt or insecurity may result in seeking validation for their attractiveness from the other women.
- Lack of responsibility: If a man doesn't have enough responsibility for his actions, he will shift the consequences of their cheating onto other people—for instance, a wife, boss, or even other women.
- Love is gone: Sometimes, infidelity might be a reason to stop current relationships. And, instead of explaining what is wrong, a man cheats on his spouse, forcing her to quit him.
- Childhood trauma: If a man was physically or emotionally abused in childhood, it might result in an inability to be fully committed to one person. Also, a man may stray to get a distraction from the old unhealed wounds.
- Overconfidence: A man might have unrealistic expectations that he deserves more than other men. That’s why he may play the field whenever he wants.
- Monogamy: Some men are monogamous by nature. That’s why it is believed that they play the field due to the natural urge to continue the family lineage.
- Selfishness: A man may think that his beloved ones should satisfy his each and every sexual desire around the clock. If she doesn't do it, he seeks sexual fulfillment elsewhere.
- Revenge: If his significant other has cheated on him, he might want to hurt her. And cheating back is the best way for him to get an act of revenge.
- No chemistry: Some men report a lack of sexual desire towards their wives when they give birth to a kid. Their partners don't appear as sex objects, but just maternal figures.
- Lack of spontaneity: Some men stray when their long-term relationships become trivial and boring. In this case, they seek the adrenaline rush with another woman (or women).
Statistics of men infidelity
The main reason why men cheat is sex.
- 22% of males admit cheating at least once being married.
- 56% of men who cheated on their spouses say to be happy in their marriages.
- 74% of men would cheat on their significant other if they were not caught red-handed.
- 22% of men would stay with a cheating partner.
- 98% of men have constant fantasies about someone other than their partner.
- 56% of men think they cheat while sending explicit photos.
- 78% of men accept that cheating in marriage is wrong.
- 33% of men have cheated on their spouses between 2-5 times.
- 21% of men have cheated on their best half with an ex.
- 9% of men would cheat to pay back a cheating spouse.
Why do women cheat?
Why do women actually cheat? The desire to engage in infidelity is usually driven by the following reasons:
- Problems with self-esteem: Usually, women who suffer from depression, low self-esteem, or inferiority complex need validation from the other men that they are desired, valued, and needed.
- Revenge: If a woman was betrayed by her spouse, it is absolutely natural that she wants revenge. That’s why very often, women cheat on their partners only to pay back for their infidelity.
- Lack of emotions: Very often, women don't have enough romance in a current relationship or bored with their stable partner, so they find someone new to reach the emotional high.
- Neglection and loneliness: Sometimes, women suffer from emotionlessness in current relationships. So, she may stray from filling in the emotional neglect.
- Lack of support: Support is an integrable part of healthy wellbeing. If a woman has fallen a victim of abuse or neglect or any other negative attention from men, it may also result in infidelity.
- Lack of sex: If a woman doesn’t have enough of sex, or if she doesn’t feel loved and desired at home, it is more likely that she will look for satisfying her sexual needs with another person outside the relationship.
- Lack of intimacy: Emotional connection is essentially important for any woman. If she doesn't receive enough affection, attention, and tenderness at home, she is more likely to find it somewhere else.
- Selfishness: Very often, if a woman has unrealistic expectations about her partner, or when he fails, she is more likely to turn to someone else.
- Desire to break up: For some people who want to stop current relationships, it might be easier to cheat than to explain why they want to break up.
- Sex addiction: Some women may get involved in continuous romance to get rid of mental issues such as depression, stress, low self-esteem, etc.
Statistics of women infidelity
The main reason why women stray is emotional satisfaction.
- 34% of women who cheated on their spouses say to be happy in their marriages.
- 28% of women would stay with a cheating partner.
- 80% of women have constant fantasies about someone other than their partner.
- 76 % of women think they cheat while sending explicit photos.
- 84% of women say that cheating is wrong for married people.
- 36% of women have cheated on their spouses between 2-5 times.
- 32% of women strayed with a former sweetheart.
- 14% of women would cheat on their partner for revenge.
Statistics on cheaters cheating again
“Once a cheater, always a cheater” is it always true? While some people may cheat only once, others will do it twice and more times.
According to the statistics of serial cheating, 55% of those who cheat will do it again. According to online statistics, 60% of men and women cheated on their partners more than once. The reasons for cheating are very different. 56% of men and 65% of women have cheated on their spouses due to the problems in their relationships. While 44% of men and 30% of women were bored in their marriage. Thus, only 50% of women and 38% of men thought about leaving their partners after cheating.
As you see, both men and women are prone to cheating. Despite the eye-catching statistics, it is difficult to identify whether men cheat more than women or vice versa. The one thing that should be remembered: the cheating is not about gender; it is about a person.
Regardless of who has cheated in your relationship, there is always hope for a bright future. With the help of family therapy, it is possible to regain trust and save your marriage from the divorce. Thus, it is quite a challenging process, but if you are ready to pull out all the stops, you can be happy in your marriage once again.